Saturday, November 22, 2008

It Grows On You

I remember my first sip of ginger beer, which burns your throat if you're just a six year old. It wasn't nice. It tastes like ginger for God's sake! But then there was just something about the whole...flavor? Beneath the burning sensation in your throat, there's a very intriguing taste. I watered it down at first; and soon came to be at ease with something so vulgar. It grew on me.

Then came Schweppes' Bitter Lemon. It was bitter, yes. And sour. Biting a whole lemon, and chewing its skin, wouldn't be as unpleasant as your first ever sip. And it seemed exotic, too (in Malaysia, at least), which made it so much more appealing. I personally like anything citrus. So once I got past the bitterness, that drink was a joy to me. It grew on me.

Then came Dr. Pepper. All I could say after one swag was "this tastes like shit!" to which my brother replied "more for me la, then. Sedap sial benda ni". That was years ago. Probably a lifetime or two. I can't quite put my finger on what about that medicine-like taste that makes it so addictive. Was it cherry? Was it some cough syrup derivative? Although technically I could Google it, I can't quite be bothered about it now. For reasons I myself do not know, I kept trying Dr. Pepper throughout the years. Some time a couple of years back (when Cold Storage BSC imported them and sold them for a ridiculous RM3 each, with Fariz being the only customer) I suddenly enjoyed it. But it had to be chilled, and not watered down. And now Wal-Mart sells a crate of 24 for only $6.50. So this week my breakfasts, lunches and dinners are graced by you know what. It grew on me; but this time it's gone a little too far.

I could say the same about pineapple juice. Drink it once and your face will most likely turn into that of a horse's. Fresh pineapple juice, that is. None of those preservative- , coloring- and flavor-spiked bullshit. I never quite hated it, but I never quite liked it either. But somehow something about it got me hooked. It grew on me.

My drink preferences may not be of any interest to you or anyone for that matter. But the thing is, here is a list of things I either hated or was indifferent to; and now I swear by them. Why do we keep trying something we don't quite enjoy and then end up liking them? "It grows on me," you say, now that you're hooked. Why did you let it grow on you if you didn't like it in the first place? Unless we're forced to, we don't have to say, eat, drink or do anything we don't like; but why is it that we keep itching to opt for something we know we don't?

Some things we just can't explain. They just happen. That's life. And, well, it grows on you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dr pepper yucks. gingerale is yum though